Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 1 (and 2)


Shannon Patton-This trip has already been very life changing. Also it is very a stressful trip. First my bag almost didn’t go through and the people at the airport were making a big deal about it and I almost had a panic attack. When we got to Haiti it was so uncomfortable because of the heat plus I had only four hours of sleep. When we got to the compound it was a little different than I expected. I didn’t expect everything to be with everything like the orphans, Miriam center (disabled children) and the elderly home to be in the compound. Today was great! Other than going to church we just stayed at the compound to hang out with the orphans and the disabled children.  Tomorrow I’m going to Tortuga. It is an hour boat ride there, and it is supposed to be very stressful.

Mary Kate: The trip has been amazing so far. As soon as I stepped out of the plane I knew I was going to fall in love with the country and its people. We were not able to take the 6 to 12 hour buss ride due to not having enough people. Instead, we flew to Saint Louis d’nourd. Being able to see the country from above was completely incredible. I didn’t think it could get any better until we took a bus from the airport to our compound. For such a impoverished country, everything was so beautiful. It was simple, but beautiful. I began to fall more and more in love as the bus ride continued. When we arrived, I’m not going to lie, I was in complete shock. The compound was nothing what I expected. As the night went on I knew I was falling hard and fast for this country. Today was our first full day at the compound. I stepped out my comfort zone and worked at the  Miram Center with disabled and mentally challenged kids.

Danielle Johnson- This trip is already a challenging but fun trip and I know it will be rewarding. I’ve been waiting for this trip for months and I cant believe its here. Today was kind of a lazy day because of church and the fact that it’s Sunday. The service was interesting because even though I couldn’t understand their language I knew that we were worshipping the same God and they all looked so happy worshipping Him.  After we got back from church we took a tour of the campus.  This place is having such a huge impact on everyone living here.  Even though they have close to nothing they are so much happier and nicer than Americans. I spent some time in the Miriam center and even though some of them are so handicapped that they cannot even walk or talk, each of them never failed to put a smile on my face. There are a lot of things in store for this country and us and I can’t wait to see it!

Lauren Haggard: This trip has definitely been an adventure so far! From boarding three planes in 24 hours to seeing the poverty here first hand, it has all been a very exciting & eye opening experience! Getting to play with tall the kids here at the compound has truly been a blessing! They are all so happy to see us every time we walk down the stairs. One of the things that has truly impacted me so far is the condition if the orphans in the Miriam Center. This is the part of the orphanage that houses the mental/physical disabled children. Every time I walk through there, I am reminded over and over how blessed I am. They seriously are the happiest kids I’ve ever seen! I know next Sunday will be a hard day, having to say goodbye to all of them, but I hope to be back soon! Thanks for all the prayers from home! Tomorrow we plan on going on the boat ride to Tortuga to do our first VBS! It should be a blast! God bless


Mark Karenbauer: As soon as I saw Haiti and its people I was in love.  I guess it’s just in the Karenbauer genes.  It’s a beautiful country with even more beautiful people.  Today church was pretty cool seeing their excitement for and joy in Jesus.  We got to play futball with the little boys, and they are so good.  I am so bad, I have a strained hamstring.  I also got to go to the Miriam center, and once you get passed the challenges they are great kids with lots of joy.  The old people were super nice too.  It was awesome meeting Kenzie.  He’s great young man, and a great brother.  I am super excited for the days to come.  Tomorrow should be fun with Tortuga.

Cameron Lile: What a great feeling to be back in Haiti! Just a quick check in to let everyone know that I am alive and well! I got to see my Miriam Center kids today and meet some of the younger boys from the community. I can’t wait for the rest of the trip and everything it has in store. Love you all!

Les Karenbauer: I feel one of the main reasons God led me to Haiti this year was to console Kenzie.  Kenzie is a boy I met the first time I came here.  Six months prior to that he lost his father.  I kind of became a father figure to him.  Two weeks ago Kenzie lost his mom.  I was so touched the first day we arrived and I got to see Kenzie after three years.  It made me feel good to let Kenzie know that there are still others that love him and will help take care of him. Tonight I got a chance to lead devotions.  This is a little out of my normal realm, but God led me in a way that He only can.  I enjoy watching all of the BGBS kids grow as they open up to these people.  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read of everyone's experiences so far. Get Rodney to stop pacing long enough to write something. We are praying for you all throughout the day and night.

    Serve as if you are serving God, not people.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all on the trip that God's power sustains you, His Spirit guides you and Christ's love pours out from you.

    ReplyDelete